Brazos Bend State Park features approximately 5,000 acres of lakes and live oak trees draped in Spanish moss and is home to white-tailed deer, dozens of bird species and even alligators. Visitors can enjoy camping, picnicking, hiking, biking, horseback riding and fishing at Brazos Bend.
Things to Do
- Camp: this popular campsite gets full on weekends - best to book a spot in advance. Make reservations online or reserve by phone: (512) 389-8900
- Picnic: There are plenty of picnic benches and restrooms throughout the park.
- Hike the Creekfield Lake Nature Trail: The trail is fully paved and takes visitors on a 0.5-mile loop tour of an outstanding wetland area. Trails are very well maintained and flat. Good for families with strollers.
- Hike or Bike the Foot Trails: Hike and bike trails are located around 40-Acre Elm and Hale lakes.
- Alligator & Deer viewing: best from the 40-Acre and Elm Lake Trail system.
- Fishing: Six lakes are easily accessible to fishermen, with piers located at 40-Acre, Elm and Hale lakes.
The George Observatory is located in the park and is open Saturdays from 3 p.m. to 10 p.m. For information on stargazing programs/passes and other programs, call the observatory at (979) 553-3400 or at (281) 242-3055.
In addition to campsites, the park also offers screened shelters, a cabin, and group facilities.
Shop for gifts at the headquarters gift shop, the Nature Center, and the George Observatory.
Brazos Bend State Park Insider Tips
- If you're camping or RVing there, the sites in the Northern loop are more spread out & with lots of grassy fields. Perfect for games & large family gatherings. Sites in the Southern Loop are more wooded and smaller. There are also some really nice playgrounds.
- Nearby attractions include the San Jacinto Battleground, San Jacinto Monument and the BattleshipTEXAS; Galveston Island State Park; Brazoria County Access Point (San Luis Pass County Park); Sea Center Texas in Lake Jackson; and the George Ranch.
- Hours - Open daily. Park gates lock at 10 p.m
- Temperature: January average low is 41 degrees. July average high is 94 degrees.