The Challenger Space Center is a public museum dedicated to space that is located in the city of Peoria, Arizona, which is approximately 30 minutes away from Phoenix by car. This fascinating space museum contains a large collection of space-related exhibits and artifacts, including items used in past NASA missions.
Whether your child wants to be an astronaut when they grow up or is simply fascinated by space, there's plenty for them to see, do, and learn when they visit the Challenger Space Center.
Things to Do
- Explore the museum - you'll learn all about space and the history of NASA space missions while looking at interesting artifacts that were used in real life by NASA astronauts!
- Become a crewmember on a 2-hour space mission. The Challenger Space Center allows visitors to learn all about space through its unique simulated space missions. They take place in a control room modeled after the Johnson Space Center, a spacecraft that is designed to look like a room in the International Space Station, and an Earth Space Transit Module!
- Check the museum's website to find out when the next Family STAR Night is taking place. This fun-filled event includes stargazing, telescope demonstrations, hands-on activities, and much more. Don't miss out on the ice cream made with liquid nitrogen!
Challenger Space Center Insider Tips
- If you have young children between the ages of 3 and 6, consider taking part in the museum's Space-Tots program! This popular monthly event introduces children to space and science through the use of fun experiments and science-themed stories.
- Throw your kid a memorable space-themed birthday party at the Challenger Space Center! Party packages include an astronaut-themed party, a simulated space mission for older children, and a private liquid nitrogen show.
- Don't forget to stop by the gift shop as you leave the museum - it's full of exciting souvenirs like space-related games, toys, and books.