Long Beach, California is the second largest city in the Los Angeles area. It is known for its extensive sandy beaches as well as numerous attractions such as art museums, performing arts centers, theaters, a popular aquarium, and gondola rides. If you have plenty of time to explore the Los Angeles area, Long Beach is certainly worth a visit due to the wide variety of activities it provides for families.
Things to Do
- Visit the Aquarium of the Pacific, a fascinating marine center that features over 11,000 marine animals such as jellyfish, sharks, penguins, rays, and horseshoe crabs.
- Take a guided tour of the historic Queen Mary, a retired ocean liner docked in Long Beach that sailed the Atlantic Ocean between Southampton and New York from the 1930s through the 1960s.
- Sit back and relax in a beautiful Venetian style gondola tour of the city's canals.
- Enjoy the sunshine while swimming and playing at one of the city's many sandy beaches.
Long Beach Insider Tips
- Hop aboard one of the many boats that can take you to nearby Catalina Island, which is known for its immense natural beauty as well as the opportunities it provides for kayaking and snorkeling.
- Get away from the hustle and bustle of Los Angeles while enjoying the serenity of El Dorado Nature Center, which contains nature trails that lead through habitats like forests and grasslands that are full of wildlife such as birds, turtles, and rabbits.
- View Long Beach's tourism site in order to learn more about the city's many attractions, as well as local events, places to eat, and where to find accommodation.