Miller Outdoor Theatre is a performance venue located in Houston's beautiful 7.5-acre Hermann Park. It is open 8 months a year, providing a diverse array of cultural performances including jazz, ballet, Shakespeare plays, musical theatre, classical music, and classic films.
For many, the most exciting aspect of Miller Outdoor Theatre is that all of its performances are free to the public. If you live in Houston or will be there for a while, take advantage of this amazing cultural offer and go as often as you can!
Things to Do
- Go to a performance with the whole family for a fun cultural experience, and choose the type of performance that best fits your interests. Shakespeare might be of more interest to your high school student, while young children are more likely to enjoy a musical or a ballet performance.
- Attend one of the many children's productions offered by the theatre if you have young children. These special kid-friendly musicals and plays are scheduled throughout the week and promise to be both entertaining and educational.
- If you arrive early for the performance, take some time to explore Hermann Park. It's a great place for a relaxing stroll no matter the time of day.
Miller Outdoor Theatre Insider Tips
- Take the METRORail to the theatre instead of dealing with the hassle of finding a parking spot. You can park your car at the Fannin South Park & Ride lot and then take the METRORail to the Hermann Park/Rice U station. From there, it's a mere 5-minute walk to Miller Outdoor Theatre.
- Don't worry about finding seats - there's space for everyone at the Miller Outdoor Theatre. In addition to having over 1,700 seats in its covered seating area, there is also space for about 4,500 more people sitting on blankets or in lawn chairs on the sloping grassy area that stretches in front of it.
- If you get hungry before the show, make a quick visit to the concession stand to purchase a cheap snack. Every item on the menu is under $4, including cheeseburgers, loaded Frito pies, and novelty ice cream bars!