The Yankee Swap is a family tradition that all the adults and kids out of college participate that we do after Christmas dinner. We have so many laughs and usually brings a crappy gift. We do have a limit of $25. On some yearrs I have a friend that hosts of a scrapbooking yankee swap that everyone brings a $10 scrapbooking item. I have gotten some great new tools and ideas from that.
- Each person brings one wrapped or bagged gift (no more than $xx worth) and places the gift in a pile/central location.
- Each person draws a number to determine the order in which they go. They'll have 3 minutes to examine the wrapped/bagged gifts without touching any of them.
- If a participant takes too much time deciding which gift top swap/open the remaining participants can start counting aloud from ten down to zero when a leader says to start counting. If zero is reached the scout must take the wrapped gift closest to to their right hand.
- The person who drew #1 goes first and must open a gift from the pile.
- After taking your turn you must keep your gift out where other players can see it. When it's your turn if you touch a wrapped gift you have to open it.
- The person who drew #2 goes next and has the choice of taking the gift opened by #1 or opening another gift. If #1's gift is taken player #1 must open another gift from the pile.
- The person who drew #3 goes next and can either take #1's gift or #2's gift or open a gift. If player #3 takes an opened gift from player #1 or #2 then that player who is now giftless has the option of taking the other gift that was opened or opening a wrapped gift (they cannot take player #3's gift - see rule 8).
- Play continues as such with players either taking/swapping a gift or opening one.
- Once everybody goes, #1 can swap gifts with any other player
- When all the gifts are opened, the Yankee Swap is over. Now, #1 can swap gifts with any other player.
If you are reading this after the holiday and got some crappy gifts and looking for a fun night out in January Do I got a crappy gift yankee swap. Those are even more fun!