Every parent should attend a parent/daycare interview armed with a list of important questions. I have provided a list relevant to finding group daycare placements. It may be helpful for parents to customize their own question lists using my suggestions by either adding or removing items that are important to them.
1. Is this center accredited?
2. What are the qualifications of you and your staff?
3. What is your average staff turnover rate?
4. Are all members of staff CPR and first aid certified?
5. What is your discipline policy?
6. What is your child/teacher ratio?
7. Do you offer a food program?
8. If I forget to pack a lunch, will my child be fed?
9. How often are diapers changed?
10. Describe your curriculum?
11. Do you have a set nap time?
12. How much individual play time is spent with infants?
13. How do you offer cultural diversity?
14. Have you had any complaints against your center?
15. Could I spend a few hours observing a classroom?
16. How much “free play” do the children have each day?
17. What is your sick child policy?
18. Have all of the children in your care had all of their immunizations?
19. What is your plan in the event that a child is injured?
20. What is your policy on potty training? What methods do you use?
21. Are the children read to every day?
22. How often do the children play outside?
23. Have background checks been conducted on the entire staff?
24. Do you take the children on fieldtrips? What is your plan if a child gets lost?
25. How often is your center inspected?