Visit one of the premier natural and environmental science research institutions in the country and view specimens, illustrations and hands-on, educational activities relating to birds of paradise, dinosaurs, mollusks, and more. Live creatures, particularly butterflies, are also on display and featured in shows throughout the day.
Things to See & Do
- Stroll through the butterfly garden where dozens of colorful butterflies will fly past and rest in various spots.
- Inspect the diverse, informative exhibits covering such topics as chocolate, insects and "What Eats What."
- Don't miss the "Outside In" center where children will be delighted by live animals and the opportunity to touch a meteorite, pan for shark teeth, see a live beehive and much more.
Academy of Natural Sciences of Drexel University Insider Tips
- The "Outside In" Center is geared toward children 3-8 but appreciated by all ages.
- The Academy Cafe has a wide range of tasty food for all ages.
- A visit would be most relaxing toward the beginning of the week and after 2:00 p.m.
- Logan Square Parking Garage located at 1815 Cherry Street offers discounted parking for Academy visitors. Validate your ticket at the front desk.
- Using public transportation is often the easiest way to get to the Academy, with three SEPTA bus routes running within a block of the museum. Southbound Routes 32 and 33 use 19th Street. Northbound Route 32 uses 18th Street, while Northbound Route 33 uses 20th Street.