Akron Zoo is a 50 acre zoo found in Akron, Ohio, around 45 minutes south of Cleveland via the Interstate I-77. Originally built in 1950, the zoo slowly expanded to what you see right now, with the latest exhibit added in 2013, the Mike & Mary Stark Grizzly Ridge. The Akron zoo gives an experience that you are closer to the animals as compared to the other zoos.
Things to Do
- See the animals, of course - there are numerous species of animals within the zoo. You can make it a game and see how many animals the kids would remember once the day is over.
- Take a behind the scenes tour of the zoo - your group will get their very own tour guide and you get to see how the meals of the animals are being prepared, plus more (additional charges may apply)
- Become a Zoo trainer/veterinarian or a trainer for the day - you can work with the animals and be up close & personal with them. These experiences require additional fees and reservations in advance. Age restrictions also apply
- Take part in educational programs hosted by the zoo (Zoo camp, career days & classroom programs)
Akron Zoo Insider Tips
- Slide through the otter tube! It is short but if they're lucky, they get a chance to see the otters up close swimming in the water while the kids are sliding!
- There is a small garden with a fountain at the back of the zoo - good quiet place to rest
- You can bring your own food and have a mini picnic inside - there are numerous picnic tables available within the grounds.