An aquarium in the the desert? This definitely makes ABQ Aquarium a must-visit place when in Albuquerque. This small aquarium is located inside ABQ BioPark next to a zoo and a botanic garden.
Things to Do
- Take the entire family and learn more about the diversity in the underwater world. The aquarium features Pacific and Antlantic Coral Reefs exhibits both teeming with colorful fish of all shapes and sizes. One exhibit also shows how parts of a ship wreck become a new habitat for marine life.
- See five types of shark up close, including a sand tiger and black tip, at the Shark Tank exhibit. Next, find the sting rays at the Shallow and Shores section.
- Check out the scale model collection of historic ships at the Ship's Cove.
- Be there during the feeding time and watch the divers feed the fish (including the sharks) and clean the tanks. The kids can also participate in a hands-on interaction with crabs and even a small stingray and a bamboo shark. Check the aquarium's website for details of the feeding time and Touchpool schedule.
- Watch educational videos about the state of the world's oceans, the problems we are facing, and the steps we can all do to help save marine life.
- Have lunch or snacks from Shark Reef Cafe while enjoying the view of the Shark Tank. End the aquarium tour with a trip to the Gift Shop.
Albuquerque Aquarium Insider Tips
- Purchase the Combo Admission Ticket to the Zoo, Aquarium, and Botanic Garden to get the best deal. The aquarium is small and will only take half an hour to see all exhibits.
- Children under 3 get in for free.