The American Museum of Science & Energy is a fascinating museum that teaches children and adults about science and energy. It is located in Oak Ridge, Tennessee, which is approximately 30 miles away from Knoxville, and features a wide variety of permanent and temporary exhibits on topics such as light, sound, nuclear energy, the Manhattan Project, and technology. No matter your age, you're sure to learn something interesting when you visit the American Museum of Science & Energy.
Things to Do
- Learn about the history of Oak Ridge by viewing a special exhibit that features historical photographs, artifacts, and documents, as well as an informative 20-minute video.
- Enjoy the Exploration Station, where your child can do hands-on activities related to static electricity, robotics, light, color, and sound.
- Explore the Earth's Energy Resources exhibit, which has displays on various energy sources found on Earth, including coal, natural gas, oil, hydropower, and geothermal energy.
- Check out the amazing model of a nuclear reactor as you learn all about nuclear energy.
American Museum of Science & Energy Insider Tips
- If you plan to visit often, consider becoming a member! They offer a family membership for just $40 that includes free admission to the museum as well as discounts on classes, workshops, and camps.
- Don't forget to stop by the gift shop before you head home - it has a great selection of educational books, as well as toys and clothing.
- Try out a fun science experiment at home after your visit - they provide instructions for several family-friendly science experiments on their website.