You'll find the country's largest swamp, known as the Atchafalaya Basin, in south central Louisiana. The place is an ecological heritage area as it is home to various species of flora and fauna. Enjoy exploring the swamp through several activities which are perfect for outdoorsy and nature-loving families.
Things to Do
- Bring the family and sign up for a Wetland Boat and Swamp Tour. There are several tour operators in the area that you can choose from. Get a glimpse of the wildlife in the area such as alligators, turtles, and birds as you go into the swamp. The tour lasts for 1.5 hours.
- The more adventurous ones can go for a paddling tour to get a more up close experience of the swamp.
- The Atchafalaya Basin is also a good spot for bird watching. Almost 400 species of birds were recorded in the area including herons, egrets, and spoonbills.
- Bring your rods and catch trouts, crawfish, and flounders when you go fishing. Those who are into hunting can also sign up for deer hunting sessions.
- Make it a weekend trip by setting up a camp in any of the campsites in the area.
Atchafalaya Basin Insider Tips
- Research online to get the best deals for tours and activities. Tour operators also offer discounts so check and compare each one to get the best deal.
- Always take note of the safety reminders when you are doing the activities.