The Bayou Bend Collection and Gardens is an art collection and house museum in Houston. Inside Bayou Bend, the former mansion of well-known Texas philanthropist Ima Hogg, visitors can explore an impressive collection of decorative art, paintings, and furniture that has been organized by the Museum of Fine Arts, Houston (MFAH).
In addition, the mansion is located on a 14-acre estate filled with beautiful gardens which you are welcome to explore. Features of the gardens include gorgeous flowers and fountains as well as many varieties of native plants.
Things to Do
- Older children and adults interested in history, architecture, and art should take the guided tour of Bayou Bend. Visitors are shown around this historic home by an informative tour guide and are invited to ask as many questions as they like.
- Get away from the hustle and bustle of the city and go for a peaceful family walk through Bayou Bend's gardens, including eight formal gardens.
- Look at the fascinating artifacts held in the Bayou Bend Collection, such as American furnishings, paintings, silver, and ceramics.
Bayou Bend Collection and Gardens Insider Tips
- Don't miss the Butterfly Garden, which is tucked away in a forested area of the estate. Originally, Ima Hogg planted purple and yellow pansies there, but later changed to brightly-colored dwarf evergreen azaleas.
- If you have young children, you'll be happy to learn that children aged 9 and under can go on the 60-minute self-guided tour of the house and get into the gardens for free!
- There are plenty of other MFAH sites you can visit throughout Houston if the Bayou Bend Collection makes you eager to see more art. Visit their website to learn more about the various locations, including the Cullen Sculpture Garden and the Main Campus.