Bear Swamp is a forested wilderness in Ashfield, Massachusetts, it is a beautiful place with trees, ponds, meadows and hiking trails. Families looking for an outdoor adventure should visit Bear Swamp to experience with tranquility and exposure to local flora and fauna. The swamp was once a sheep pasture and a source of lumber, now the landscape has many hardwood trees, such as Ash, hickory, basswood, maple and cherry. Bear swamp has three miles of trails to explore. Visitors can visit the Bear swamp all year-round and without any admission charges.
Things to Do
- Bear swamp is a wonderful place for bird watching, there are clusters of cherry, maple, birch and oak trees that are a habitat for a variety of bird species.
- You can view different species of birds all year long, in the Spring there are warblers, mallards, wood peckers, and owls hoot in the winters.
- Hiking trails take you through stone dams, plenty of wild flowers and ferns, for nice views of the valley and the vistas head over to the apple valley overlook.
- Look for turtles, herons and wood ducks and beavers in the beaver pond.
- Families can enjoy a picnic at the apple valley overlook. Apple valley overlook gives gorgeous views of the apple orchards.
- Bear swamp orchard offers cider tastings and pick your own apples through out fall season. They have certified organic apple products and maple syrup.
Bear Swamp Insider Tips
- It is advised to bring drinking water and insect repellents in the Summer season.