Belle Isle is a small island in the James River in Richmond, Virginia. Accessible via a pedestrian footbridge or by boulder-hopping when the river's water level is low, Belle Isle provides families with a beautiful recreation area where they can enjoy activities such as hiking, mountain biking, fishing, and rock climbing. It is also a great place to visit if you want to view wildlife such as songbirds, blue herons, and a variety of small amphibians and reptiles.
Things to Do
- Explore the island by going for a relaxing family stroll or taking advantage of the mountain biking trails.
- Teach your child how to fish at the quarry pond!
- Take your teen to the granite wall so that they can improve their rock climbing skills.
- Bring along a camera so that you can take photos of Richmond's skyline as well as nearby landmarks such as the Hollywood Cemetery, which contains the remains of former U.S. Presidents Monroe and Tyler.
Belle Isle Insider Tips
- Bring along a picnic lunch to eat atop one of the huge boulders near the beautiful rapids of the James River.
- Make sure to keep a close eye on small children when exploring the boulders near the water, as the river currents are quite strong and are not suitable for swimming.
- Take some time to read the signs posted throughout the island, which provide fascinating historical information about the area.