Bernal Heights is a neighborhood in San Francisco, California, it is primarily a residential strip with a commercial strip featuring many restaurants, cafes, shops, grocery stores, book stores, a wine and beer store, and a branch of San Francisco Public Library. Bernal Heights is more of a small urban village that features many trendy boutiques and innovative restaurants. Bernal heights is a quaint, small, family-friendly urban village that features some good parks, cafes, and great views of the city. It is worth a visit the unique park for 360 panoramic views of San Francisco.
Things to Do
- Families can enjoy shopping at the main shopping strip of the Cortland avenue, there are markets, fruit shops and cafes.
- Holly park is a a lush green space with playhouses, slides, swings, and a nice picnic area for a complete family day out. You can also get spectacular views of the city from the park, plus there are basketball and tennis courts. The parks are pet friendly.
- The Precita Park features nice playground areas and picnic tables.
- Bernal Heights outdoor cinema features local film makers, film screenings are free in September and October.
- Alemany Farmer's market is a wonderful place for buying inexpensive organic produce. There is also an environment friendly grocery store, The Good Life.
- There is a unique collection of restaurants for a scrumptious lunch or dinner, including, Liberty cafe, Emmy's Spaghetti shack, a Mexican restaurant El Zocalo, Indian and Chinese food at "Little Nepal", Zante's cuisine, and the quirky Jasmine Tea house that features high quality Chinese dishes in a local setting.
- Finally, shop till you drop at Alemany Flea market, a pet shop " Bernal Beast", a gift shop "Heartfelt", and a bookstore, Red Hill books.
Bernal Heights Insider Tips
- When visiting park for a hike, bring water bottles and wear sneakers or comfortable walking shoes. In most places, you'll have to hike up a steep mound of dirt to get to the top.
- This is a popular spot for dog walkers. Don't visit dog parks, if your kids are scared of dogs.
- Wear good walking shoes.
- Dress appropriately when visiting in fall. (It's always a good idea to dress in layers in SF!)