Create your own big bird characters for fun or for decoration when you make these Big Bird Tissue Paper Pom Poms. These characters are fun and fairy easy to make for crafters of all ages and they make beautiful party decorations that the kids can help out with. Party or no party, these Sesame Street Characters are fun to create and adorable to display proudly.
- Several sheets of yellow tissue paper
- Craft wire or pipe cleaner
- Yellow, pink, red, light blue and white card stock
- Glue Gun
How to Make Them
- Lay 8-10 sheets of large yellow tissue paper on top of each other.
- Fold them together in 1 inch segments back and forth, back and forth accordion style until the entire tissue paper surface is folded like a fan.
- Secure the paper in the center with some craft wire or a pipe cleaner.
- Tie a long piece of twine to the craft wire or pipe cleaner.
- Use sharp scissors to cut a rounded shape to each end of the folded tissue.
- Gently fan the sides out and carefully pull back each layer of tissue and pull toward the center.
- When you are half way through the stack of tissue, flip it over and pull the layers that have not been spread yet, in the opposite direction.
- Fluff when finished.
- Cut a wide rounded carrot shape for the top of the beak about 6 inches in length out of yellow card stock paper.
- Cut another smaller carrot shape for the lower edge of the beak. It should be thinner and shorter than the top of the beak.
- Next cut a slight smaller carrot shape out of the red paper and glue onto the yellow lower beak.
- Next cut an even smaller carrot shape out of the pink paper and glue that onto the red paper which is pasted to the lower beak.
- Cut out two white circles out of your card stock for the eyes. We used three inch circles for the eyes on our large tissue paper pom pom.
- Draw and color in with black marker two even pupils in the center of the white circles.
- Measure and cut trimmed down half circles that fit the eyes like eyelids out of the pink card stock. See the photo above.
- Cut a 1/4 inch paper strip for each eye in light blue for the rim of the eye lid.
- Glue the eyelids and the blue strips onto the eye. Big Bird has untraditional eye lids that angle in from the sides, so glue them accordingly.
- Next draw a 1 inch black circle in the center of the eyes for the pupil.
- Use your glue gun to attach the eyes to your pom pom.
- Glue the bottom beak to the top beak so that the beak looks open and glue the whole beak to the face of your pom pom.