Big Cottonwood Canyon is a beautiful 15-mile long canyon located in the Wasatch Range near Salt Lake City, Utah. It provides breathtaking mountain views for visitors who can enjoy activities like hiking, mountain biking, rock climbing, fishing, and camping. It is also home to two popular ski resorts that have facilities for activities like downhill and Nordic skiing, snowboarding, ice skating, and snowshoeing. If you're wanting to explore the natural beauty of Utah, Big Cottonwood Canyon is a great place to start due to its extensive trails and diverse wildlife.
Things to Do
- Go on a family hike through the canyon! You can find detailed guides to several different canyon trails here.
- Visit one of the canyon's many lakes, including Lake Mary and the Twin Lakes, to go fishing - you're likely to catch a trout or two.
- Check out the popular rock climbing area known as the S-Curve Area, which contains a variety of climbing routes under impressive overhangs.
Big Cottonwood Canyon Insider Tips
- Bring along some food and have a picnic at Storm Mountain, one of the canyon's most popular picnic areas due to its beautiful views and its playground.
- Go camping in the canyon! There are two campgrounds to choose from, which are both located at high elevations and are located near hiking trails.
- Spend the weekend at one of the canyon's two ski resorts, Solitude and Brighton, which feature lodging, tons of skiing trails, and plenty of other family-friendly activities like hiking and ice skating.