For over 100 years the Birch Aquarium at Scripps has been conducting marine research in the Pacific Ocean. An aquarium building was built so that their discoveries could be shared with the public and throughout its history the aquarium has won several awards. This destination is definitely geared towards children over adults and is perfect day out for your little ones!
Things to Do
- See fine examples of marine life in the Hall of Fishes. There are over 60 different tanks including creatures from various different areas of the Pacific Ocean.
- Witness three different tide pools and be sure to ask the friendly and knowledgeable staff for more information about the creatures living these environments.
- Marvel at sharks in the Shark Reef! This tank includes a variety of sharks that live in a tropical reefs. There are also opportunities to learn more about the sharks from the accompanying exhibits.
- Play at Boundless Energy, an outdoor playground for the kids. Here they can learn more about renewable energy sources while playing.
- Learn more about climate change at Feeling the Heat: The Climate Challenge. Here you can see the culmination of over 50 years of award-winning research on climate change and carbon emission.
Birch Aquarium at Scripps Insider Tips
- Discount deals are often available online so make sure to check around before you visit and save yourself some money! The aquarium's own website also features a special deals page so that you can get your discounts direct from the source.
- See what's going on at the Birch Aquarium at Scripps by checking their calendar of events.