The Birmingham Botanical Gardens is considered one of the best free attractions in Birmingham, Alabama. Over 350,000 people visit the gardens each year and you and your family can see why they're so popular without spending a penny. Getting to the gardens is simple as they are located just 10 minutes to the south of downtown Birmingham and are right by the Birmingham Zoo.
The botanical gardens have been a feature of the city since opening in the 1960s and include some fine examples of plant life from all over the world.
Things to Do
- Enjoy one of the botanical gardens' many Gardens of Collections. These gardens feature plants of the same family or genus and include the rose and lily gardens.
- The Birmingham Botanical Gardens also has two Gardens of Nature. These gardens feature collections of plants that are grouped by the location or environment where they grow.
- There are also a number of Gardens of Culture that replicate the styles of gardens that are typical in certain parts of the world as well certain different styles of garden.
Birmingham Botanical Gardens Insider Tips
- While the botanical gardens are open every day of the year, you may want to consider heading along after the flowers have bloomed. However, going on colder days and out of season is also a great way to avoid crowds.
- Be sure to find out what's happening at the botanical gardens by regularly checking their events page.
- You'll have plenty opportunities to take beautiful photographs of the various plants and flowers so don't forget to bring your camera along!