While most museums collect admission fees, Birmingham Museum of Art offers free admission, or a donation if you wish, in exchange for a few hours of viewing extensive collections hailing from different cultures and originating from several periods. Exhibits include Asian, African, European, Native American, and Modern and Contemporary art. The collection is vast and art lovers can easily spend a day exploring each nook of the museum.
Things to Do
- Visit with the family for an art-filled day. The museum's first floor holds modern and contemporary art while another section features works from 17th to 18th century such as paintings and sculptures. On the second floor, you will find collections from other cultures such as the Sacred Sculptures from Asia and the African gallery featuring bead works and body art. Don't forget to visit the Sculpture Garden outside the museum.
- Take a break and have lunch at Oscar's before heading to the next gallery. Oscar's serves fresh food made from ingredients all sourced locally.
- Drop by the Museum Store to purchase books, jewelry, sculptures, and other memorabilia.
- Check out the museum's events page for art workshops, discussions, and family tours.
Birmingham Museum of Art Insider Tips
- Museum offers free parking and free admission.
- If you wish to go on a docent-led tour of the museum, call ahead at least 3 weeks in advance.