Block Island is a beautiful island that is located just 13 miles south of Rhode Island, the town of New Shoreham in Block Island is a popular site for offering entertainment and outdoor activities to the tourists. Vacationers frequent the town for fishing, sailing, hiking and for visiting beautiful beaches. The island hosts sailboat racing event in the Summer, around 40% of the island is a nature preserve. Block Island is named after a Dutch explorer, Adrian Block. Block Island has a number of historic light houses, and a museum. The island can be reached via ferries, the island can be reached in an hour from Point Judith.
Things to Do
- Block island is home to beautiful and pristine beaches, visit the Crescent beach and enjoy sunning, the beach has cabanas, snack bar, showers and restrooms.
- Boating is a favorite family activity at the island, boats can be rented at new harbor and old harbor, also enjoy fishing.
- Children love to visit the Abram's animal farm and Ball o' Brien park. Want to explore nature? Visit the nature conservancy and enjoy hiking with your family.
- Visit the historic 1875 Southeast lighthouse, and the North lighthouse, and the Block Island historical society museum.
- The island has many restaurants, restaurants offer sea food, local specialties and casual dining. There are shops to buy gifts, jewelry, clothing and much more.
- For commuting on the island, bicycle and car rentals are available.
Block Island Insider Tips
- Block Island offers houses, guest houses and cottages for accommodation.
- Reservations are not required to travel on the block island ferry from Point Judith.