Boone and Scenic Valley Railroad is an operating railroad museum that is meant to preserve the history of Iowa's railroad. Families enjoy riding the historic trains, steam engine trains and special trains. Take a memorable trip to old coal mining town of Fraser from Boone in 1920's era coach cars. The heritage railroad museum houses many locomotives and cars, the railroad also runs a short trolley ride.
Things to Do
- Families can ride the old coach cars and enjoy the beautiful view of the River valley while traveling from Boone to the town of Fraser, the open-air cars give a splendid view and take you back in time. The trip is approx.1 hour and 45 minute long. Concessions are provided on basic excursion trains.
- Take a journey on the dinner train that features historic 1950's passenger cars and take in the view of scenic Des Moines river valley. Enjoy delicious dinner menu on your trip. Reservations are required.
- In dessert train ride abroad the historic city of Sans Francisco cars, enjoy a beverage, light snack and a dessert on your two hour ride through the River valley.
- Families enjoy riding the picnic train, bring your own lunch and ride the city of Sans Francisco cars, take in beautiful views of the river valley, and have a great time with the family.
- Take a 30-minute long trolley ride to downtown Boone in the 1920's electric trolley. Trolley ride is available every Saturday May through October.
- Visit the museum and explore a variety of historic railroad artifacts. It includes a theater and library. Visit the Iowa railroad historical society gift shop for souvenirs.
Boone and Scenic valley Railroad Insider Tips
- Historic trains are not handicap accessible.
- Restrooms are available on board.