The diverse environment in Edisto Island makes it an ideal place to learn and explore ecological systems. This is the vision of Botany Bay Ecotours, founded by biologist Meg Hoyle. All the tours are designed to raise more awareness about the ecosystem in the rivers, marshes, and beaches. Tours are also focused on resource management as well the history of flora and fauna in the area.
Things to Do
- Take the whole family on a dolphin watching tour. Go either on a boat cruise or rent a kayak. The knowledgeable tour guide regales guests with the history and behavior of bottlenose dolphins.
- End your day with a view of the spectacular sunset as dolphins swim along with the boat and birds fly their way across the river.The trip is best enjoyed with a cold drink in hand. Trip lasts for 75 minutes.
- Spend the day in a secluded beach known as Otter Island. Bring food and drinks and go on a picnic with the family. Explore the island, examine shells, but always remember to never take anything except photos.
- Download Botany Bay's self-guided tour app for your iPhone. The app will help you find the different landmarks and scenic places along the Hwy 174.
- Watch out for the schedule of upcoming programs such as Turtle Talk and Marsh Exploration. See loggerhead turtles nesting or hatching at night.
Botany Bay Ecotours Insider Tips
- If you are going with a group of 6 or more, call ahead to avail of group rates.
- Tours are cancelled in case of bad weather. Check your news forecast to increase your chance of going on a clear day.