Brookfield Zoo is a large 216 acre zoo which houses about 450 different species of animals. It can be found in the Brookfield suburb of Chicago and can sometimes be referred to as the Chicago Zoological Park as well. Though not free like the Lincooln Park Zoo it is a far greater area and if you are a fan of zoos it should definitely make it on to your itinerary when visiting Chicago.
Things to Do
- There are a great number of exhibits to choose from and this range in possibilites is sure to cater for the majority of people regardless of age. A particularly popular favorite is there Dolphin Discovery series.
- Apart from this there are exhibits on Great North American Bears, The African Savannah, Big Cats, the African Forest and Australian animals.
- There is also the highly interactive Hamil Family Play Zoo which was partially designed by children and gives little ones the opportunity to build animal homes, examine animal X-Rays and much more.
- The Motor Safari is the Zoo's tram which takes you on a narrated tour around the park. You can hop and hop off when you like which makes this a good way of getting around the park if you are visiting with younger kids.
Brookfield Zoo Insider Tips
- Brookfield Zoo is a large area with a great number of exhibits. To be sure you don't get lost or overwhelmed by it all download and print off a map before you go.
- While it is possible to pay for a tram to take you around the park the best way to see it much of it is on foot so bring a comfortable pair of walking shoes. Also bear in mind that certain areas of the ppark are not particularly stroller friendly.