One of Chicago's great landmarks Buckingham Fountain is located right in the center of the downtown's Grant Park. It is truly a spectacular sight and reminiscent of a bygone time in Chicago's past. The fountain was opened on May 26th 1927 and ever since has served as one of the city's centerpieces.
Things to Do
- Make sure if you plan to visit the Fountain that you do so between April 1st and November 1st. During these months the fountain is in full operation.
- Every hour on the hour between 10:00 a.m and 11:00 p.m the fountain produces a spectacular water show for twenty minutes. Once the sun goes down this water show is accompanied by lights and music.
- The fountain is a treat for photographers, couples who are looking for a romantic snapshot or families who want the perfect picture to commemorate their time in Chicago. Not only can you have the fountain itself as part of the backdrop but it is also a wonderful spot to get a view of Chicago's stellar skyline.
- Catch it at sunset during summer when the scene is often suffused with a gorgeous light from the setting sun.
- If you are a fan of architecture you are in for a treat with the fountain's design. Styled as an allegorical representation of Lake Michigan with the four sea horses on each side representing the four states that border the great lake at the fountain's centerpiece is a beautifully wrought bronze sculpture. Surrounding all this is a Beaux-Arts style landscape that is always well kept.
Buckingham Fountain Insider Tips
- The Fountain always looks great but perhaps the best time to catch it is when the sun is going down. Get a photo in the setting sun light and then enjoy the entertaining music and lights show!
- When you visit the Buckingham Fountain be sure to make the most of the rest of Grant Park too. This lovely park right in the center of the city regularly holds different events throughout the year like live concerts and films during summer as well as the "Taste of Chicago" food festival
- A trip to see the Fountain can be tied in with a day spent on Museum Campus. Here you will find major museums dedicated to the natural sciences like the Adler Planetarium, the Shedd Aquarium and the Field Museum of Natural History. It is possible to buy a discount ticket to see all of these sites together. The Bears legendary football stadium Soldier Field is also right next door!