Parents interested to learn more about military history or kids eager to see real helicopters and ships will appreciate a trip to this military park. The Buffalo and Erie County Naval and Military Park is an inland naval museum on the shore of Lake Erie featuring several US Naval ships, military equipment including helicopters and tanks, and memorabilia displays. The park also has a museum building and a gift shop.
Things to Do
- Bring the entire family and go on a tour of the US Naval ships. Get inside the USS The Sullivans, a Fletcher Class destroyer that served during World War 2 and the Korean War.
- Also take a trip inside the USS Little Rock, a missile cruiser. Visit the USS Croaker and know how it is like to board a submarine. Take the time to read the details and go through the photos to learn more about history.
- Explore more military equipment such as the Army M-41 Tank, helicopters, and military vehicles. Don't forget to check out memorabilia from US Civil War and WW1. Displays also include Marine Corps, Polish Armed Forces, and Vietnam Veterans exhibits.
- Sign up for an Overnight Stay at the USS Little Rock. The overnight encampment package includes meals, tour, and a motion simulator ride.
- Since this is an inland naval park, your family can go for a leisurely walk along the waterfront. Enjoy lovely views of Lake Erie and grab hotdog or ice cream from the snack bar. The park also has a gift shop where you can get a souvenir of your trip.
Buffalo and Erie County Naval & Military Park Insider Tips
- You can do a self-guided tour but if you call in advance, you can get a schedule for a free tour guide.