Bushnell Park in Hartford, Connecticut is the oldest public park in the United States. This historic 37-acre park contains numerous attractions, including monuments, fountains, statues, an art gallery, a carousel, and a beautiful pond that is the perfect place for a family picnic. If you're looking for a place where you can enjoy the natural beauty of Connecticut and get some fresh air, it's a great place to visit.
Things to Do
- Take a tour of the Soliders and Sailors Memorial Arch, a triumphal arch memorial that honors Hartford citizens who served and died in the Civil War. At the end of the tour, you'll be able to climb the 96 steps to the top and enjoy the spectacular views of the park.
- Go for a ride on the beautiful carousel which is over 100 years old.
- Explore the park and view the many monuments and statues dedicated to important historic figures.
- Check out the artwork on display in the Pumphouse Gallery, a functioning pump house that also features art from local artists.
Bushnell Park Insider Tips
- Don't miss the beautiful Bushnell Park pond, which contains a gorgeous stainless steel sculpture called Harmony.
- If you're interested in nature, pick up a "Tree Walk" brochure from the nearby Legislative Office Building and learn all about the over 150 varieties of trees that can be found throughout the park.
- Attend an event at the Performance Pavilion, an outdoor stage used for music, theater, and dance performances.