Whether you're looking to run or walk or enjoy a nice stroll with the family at the Canal side, the 3-mile Canal walk that is part of the Indiana central canal serves as a waterside promenade. Enjoy a stroll or burn off calories by jogging and running, bicycling, and enjoy sight seeing. The Indiana Central canal was dug in the early 1830's, the canal walk stretches from White River state park to 11th street in Downtown Indianapolis, Indiana. These canals were used as a mode of long distance transportation back in the days. The water sports activities in the Canal walk make it a good spot for outdoor recreation and entertainment for the families.
Things to Do
- Enjoy a nice stroll at the Canal walk with your family and pets, you can also do running, jogging and bicycling.
- If the weather permits it in the Summer, you can rent out paddle boats, kayaks and double kayaks, and enjoy some splash time in the water to beat the heat.
- Children can bring out their bikes, or skate at the Canal walk.
- Families can enjoy a picnic on the shaded benches.
- Children can spot plenty of ducks, geese and squirrels.
- The Canal walk gives nice views of the city.
- Outdoor concerts are arranged in the Summer.
The Canal Walk Insider Tips
- Remember to wear sunscreen and sunglasses.
- Bring water.