Carytown is a historic shopping district in Richmond, Virginia that is known for its many independent shops and restaurants. Its most famous attractions are the Cary Court Shopping Center, which is one of the oldest outdoor shopping centers on the East Coast, and the Byrd Theatre, a cinema that has been in use since 1928. In addition to providing a wide variety of shopping and dining opportunities, Carytown is often the site of local festivals.
Things to Do
- Go shopping! There's something for everyone in Carytown, whether you're interested in purchasing art, music, chocolates, toys, video games, gifts, or costumes. You can find a full list of Carytown businesses here.
- Enjoy a family meal in Carytown - it has dozens of different dining options, including cafes, casual restaurants, fine dining establishments, and pizzerias.
- Stop into the Byrd Theatre to catch a film! Movies generally cost just $2 per person.
Carytown Insider Tips
- Check out their official events calendar in order to learn about upcoming festivals, including the annual Watermelon Festival in August and the Scarytown Halloween event in October.
- Don't miss your chance to go for a horse-drawn carriage ride through Carytown! Carriage rides are generally offered in November and December.
- Take advantage of the many free parking areas in Carytown - a map of the district's free parking areas can be found here.