The Esplanade stretches for three miles along Boston's Charles River. It is a lovely and hugely popular green stretch that attracts numerous visitors. A visit here is a great way to get away from the city while still being right in the middle of it!
Things to Do
- One of the main attractions at the Esplanade is the Hatch Memorial Shell. This is a performance stage that comes alive during the summer months. Throughout June, July and August there are free films shown at dusk as part of the "Free Friday Flicks" series.
- While the weather is good during these fairer months free concerts are also organized. Any of these events are a great reason to bring a rug or some fold out chairs and set up a picnic with some friends or your family to enjoy while watching a great film or being treated to good music.
- There really are people of all stripes practicing their hobbies here, especially when the weather is good. Over the summer or during the early mornings and evenings you can expect to see yoga enthusiasts, joggers, cyclists, walkers, skaters, roller-bladers and more out enjoying the flat and well paved route that runs through the Esplanade.
Charles River Esplanade Insider Tips
- There are plenty more fun things to do here. The park has plenty of playgrounds for little ones while Sunday Fun is a great day of different activities that are designed to be enjoyed by all the family.
- There is an outdoor exercise course and tennis courts for those looking to get into shape.
- You can rent boats (paddle, kayaks, canoes & sailboats) to enjoy on the river and in winter you can cross country ski or snowshoe through the Esplanade.
- Sometimes it can get a little crowded but if you are not put off by the number of people then it makes a great place to spend the day. Of course all those people also make it a great place for sitting back and people watching!