Visit the Charleston City Market and combine going down memory lane and shopping in one day. The City Market is one of the oldest public markets in the country. If you're looking for unique items such as toys, souvenirs, antiques, handmade products, paintings, and sculptures, then a visit to the City Market should be on your list. It can be crowded and filled with a lot of tourists on weekend but the sights, the unique products, and the great artistry showcased in the market is worth braving the throng of people. Even if you don't end up buying, the walk down the market blocks is a fun activity for the family.
Things to Do
- Drop by the Day Market from 9:30AM-5:30PM. You'll find toy stores, galleries, gourmet shops, and jewelry shops at the Great Hall. To get the best handmade products in the market, look for the "Certified Authentic: Handmade in Charleston" tag.
- Don't forget to watch how sweetgrass baskets are made. There are more than 50 weavers in the market who are all more than glad to show guests how these distinct baskets are made.
- Experience the night market every Fridays and Saturdays in the months of March-December, from 6:30-10:30PM. Aside from a variety of shops, there are also live music performances every night.
- Visit the food stalls to have a taste of South Carolina's local food.
Charleston City Market Insider Tips
- Plan your visit early in the morning to avoid the crowd.