Charleston Tea Plantation is the only working tea plantation in the country. This is where the Camellia sinensis plant is grown, processed, and packaged as the tea leaves for the American Classic Tea brand. Get to know about the history and the process behind tea growing.
Things to Do
- Join the very informative Factory Tour to witness and learn how tea is made. Free tea is served during the duration of the tour.
- Watch a video that discusses the history of tea, the process of growing American Classic Tea, and the background and roots of the plantation.
- Take the Trolley Tour and go on a ride to see the 127-acre tea farm. In the tour, you will see the different stages of growing the plant and also learn why the location of Wadmalaw Island is ideal for tea propagation. If you visit during the harvesting season, you might be able to catch the harvester truck.
- Tea lovers who want to take a comprehensive tour can call the plantation in advance to book for a Bill Hall Exclusive Tour. The tour will be personally guided by William Barclay Hall, world-renowned tea taster and tea maker who manages the daily operations in the plantation.
- Drop by the Plantation Gift Shoppe if you wish to purchase tea products.
Charleston Tea Plantation Insider Tips
- Factory Tour and the admission to the Plantation Gift Shoppe is free. Trolley Tour tickets can be bought at the gift shoppe. Visit the plantation's website for ticket price details.
- If you are going with a big group, call the plantation to avail of group rates.