A hands-on art museum dedicated to engaging young artists ages 10 months-15 years in viewing, making, and sharing art. CMA is a nonprofit arts space comprised of a fine arts studio, early childhood studio and Media Lab, an art gallery, two classrooms; and a ball pond.
Things to Do
Stop by during general hours and you will find a variety of open workshops led by teaching artists.
Your family can explore the current exhibition in our Gallery and join in exhibit-themed workshops.
If you head into the Media Lab, your family can learn how to animate or watch a short film made by CMA students.
The very popular Clay Bar offers artists the opportunity to mould their favorite creatures–real or imaginary–out of modeling clay.
Upon request, your child can record a song, speech, or score a soundtrack in our Sound Booth.
Families with artists under five years old can explore creative materials in our WEE Arts early childhood studio.
The Fine Arts Studio is open for your family to paint, draw, sculpt, or sew an original masterpiece.
Before leaving, your child can let off some extra energy in our Ball Pond.
Children's Museum of the Arts Insider Tips
- Age Recommendation: CMA’s programming has been developed for families with children ages 10 months to 15 years, but our contemporary exhibitions are designed to engage visitors of all ages.
- Strollers: Strollers are not allowed beyond the CMA Entrance Lobby. All CMA visitors will be required to unpack, collapse. and store their strollers in cubbies in the Keepy Lounge which is off the Entrance Lobby.
- When to Visit: The best times to visit the Clay Bar are Mondays and Wednesdays during general hours.
- Clay Bar Sign Ups: Clay Bar is one of the busiest stations in the place, so sign up upon arrival is required. Here’s how it works on busy days:
- When you arrive, head to the Clay Bar and sign your child up for a 35 minute session. Once you’ve signed up, you may visit other workshops until your Clay Bar time is scheduled to begin. Make sure to check in at the time of your workshop so that you don’t lose your spot!
- Ball Pond Time Slots: Each hour is divided into time slots by age to ensure the safety of all visitors:
- :00 to :20 — 2 to 4 year olds:20 to :40 — 5 to 7 year olds:40 to :60 — 8+ year olds
- What to Wear: As you will be using paint, glue, and other messy materials, it is best to wear clothes that you don’t mind getting a little dirty. Some smocks are available for children to wear.
- Discounts: You can “Pay As You Wish” every Thursday from 4-6 PM!