Have fun with this nontraditional paper flower technique that brings fluted coffee filters to life. Create vibrant flowers in the color schemes of your choice by using food coloring to dye small stacks of coffee filters. Be sure to dye the filters in stacks to help them retain their fluted shapes until they are dry. This marvelous craft shows that coffee filters are more than just for making coffee; they make a the perfect crafts medium to work with.
- Green food Coloring
- Yellow Food Coloring
- Another color food coloring of your choice
- shallow baking dish or pie plate
- Fluted coffee filters
- Small paper cups
- Glue Gun
- Green pipe cleaners
How to Make Them
- Pour a several drops of food coloring and several tablespoons of water into a pie plate.
- Stack a few filters together and dye them completely green.
- Stack several filters together and dip the ruffled end of the stack in the color of your choice.
- Remove, and let dry while stacked upside down.
- Use your paintbrush to paint the small paper cups with food coloring mixture.
- When the stacked filters are completely dry, separate the dyed filters.
- Fold one filter in half, and use your scissors to snip the ruffled part every few inches.
- Trim snips into rounded petals.
- Unfold the filter.
- Use your scissors to cut the green filters into leaf shapes.
- Glue the yellow cup to center of the colorfully edged filter with your glue gun.
- Glue green leaves to underside of filter.
- Glue a green pipe cleaner to the back of the flower.