Columbus Commons is one of the city's newer parks and green spaces. This area was once the Columbus City Center Mall. After 20 years of operation, the mall closed in 2009. Columbus Commons was completed two years later in 2011, thereby creating a new open green space and urban park in downtown Columbus. There are plenty of permanent things to do there as well as a varied calendar of events.
Things to Do
- Ride the carousel. One of the main attractions in Columbus Commons is the beautiful carousel that can seat up to 20 people. The carousel is hand carved and in addition to being beautiful is great fun for kids and adults.
- In need of a break? Take a few minutes of relaxation in a beautiful surrounding at the café.
- Check out an event at the pavilion.
- Encourage your little ones to pick up a book. Columbus Commons is quite unique as it features an outdoor reading room! Pull up a chair and relax with a book thanks to the Friends of the Columbus Metropolitan Library who have made this scheme possible.
Columbus Commons Insider Tips
- The carousel is free between 10 a.m. and 2 p.m. on Fridays so if you want to save some money, make sure to head along to Columbus Commons around this time.
- Keep up with the events at Columbus Commons by checking the events page regularly.
- If you're taking kids along, try to do so on Fridays. Friday mornings are dedicated to events for children. Of course, kids can still have fun any other day of the week, too!