Whether it is a homemade gift for a friend or family member, a soothing bath, or an experiment in science that you are after, concocting your very own Fizzing Bath Bombs will satisfy your needs. Once the kids have finished their concoction, drop your fizzing bath bomb into the water and the bath bomb will fizz its way to disintegration. The scientific reasoning behind this is that the water reacts with the citric acid and baking soda and releases carbon dioxide gas which fizzes away and creates a relaxing bath.
- 1 Cup Baking Soda
- 3/4 Corn starch
- 1/4 cup of epsom salts
- 1/2 cup of citric acid ( used for canning)
- Food coloring or scented oils ( optional)
- Large Bowl
- spray bottle for water
- Various items to use as molds. Plastic eggs and cupcake tins lined with plastic wrap work very well.
How to Do It
- Mix the baking soda, corn starch, and epsom salts and citric acid together in a large bowl.
- Use a spray bottle of water to spritz the mixture lightly. It will fizz a bit. You don't want to wet it too much. Just enough to squeeze into a moldable mixture. Note: if scents or color is desired put it into the spray bottle before you spray the dry mixture.
- Scoop the mixture and press firmly into the desired mold that you have chosen.
- Leave the molded concoctions out to dry overnight. For the egg mold, open up one half of the shell to allow for a more thorough drying.
- Once dry, you can use them by dropping one into the tub at bath time for a soothing bath experience.
- Package them in egg cartons or wrapped in baggies with ribbons or in cellophane for a lovely homespun gift idea.