The stated mission of Cosley Zoo is to improve the relationship between humans and nature mainly through education and wildlife conservation. The five acre zoo can be found in Wheaton, Illinois and offers a fun, affordable and intimate family experience that is particularly well suited to young children. The Zoo provides Natural habitats for animals such as white-tailed deer, red fox, three toed box turtles and black-crowned heron.
Things to Do
- A fun, interactive way for families to enjoy the zoo together is to buy one of the Cosley Zoo Eco-Exploration Backpacks tours. Each Backpack is only $2 each and is tailored to a different theme and packed with hands on activities and items to discover. These all point you in the direction of different habitats and exhibits from which you can learn and explore at the same time.
- A fun little activity for younger kids is the duck feeding which is possible everyday.
- The Discovery Station offers free programs for any and all ages. These programs can range from animal training sessions, opportunities to meet the animals up close and amphitheatre presentations.
- The Bobcats Backstage allow you to head for behind the scenes visits with the Zoo's bobcats. Watch the zookeepers train the bobcat up close and gain a unique insight into the extraordinary animals.
Cosley Zoo Insider Tips
- The bathrooms come equipped with baby changing facilities.
- Wheaton Park District residents, Cosley Zoo members and all children under the age of 17 enter for free.
- From April through to October The Coyote Café Concession Stand is open. Here you can buy typical lunch staples, ice cream, soda and snacks.
- If you want to bring your own food feel free, a large picnic area is provided.
- Their website provides colouring pages for kids.