If you are looking for a different artistic medium to work with, try creating this interesting dough from cotton balls to form a clay-like dough. This cotton dough can be manipulated and sculpted with your hands to create an endless array of possibilities. Simply allow the sculpture time to dry and the mixture will harden.
This activity requires the use of a stove on low heat, so it involves adult supervision. Once the cotton mixture has cooled, however, it is suitable for all ages of artists.
- 4 cups of cotton balls
- 2 1/2 cups of water
- 3/4 cup of flour
- 8-10 drops of food coloring
- Wooden spoon
- Stove stop
- Several layers of paper towels
How to Make and Play
- Shred cotton balls by pulling them apart with your fingers.
- Place them in a saucepan and add water. Add food coloring if desired.
- Gradually sprinkle in the flour and stir constantly over low heat for about 6 minutes until the mixture thickens up.
- Remove the pan from heat and use your spoon to carefully scoop out the warm mixture onto a stack of paper towels.
- Allow the mixture to cool.
- When the cotton mixture is cool to the touch, mold it with your hands to form a sculpture.
- Allow 24 to 36 hours to dry completely.
- You also accent with glitter before the sculpture dries.