Concoct some craft foam for some sculptable fun. Craft foam has similar properties as play dough, in that you can manipulate the mixture into a variety of shapes with your hands. Craft foam looks and feels completely different than regular sculpting dough might feel which makes the experience all the more exciting. Children of all ages will enjoy the creation of this fun art medium just as much as they will playing and crafting with the finished product.
Make several different colors of craft foam and store in an air tight container and place it in the refrigerator to prevent mold from forming or the substance from drying out.
- 2 teaspoons of borax laundry booster
- White glue
- Food coloring
- Polystyrene beads
- Mixing bowl
- A glass
- Airtight container
- Plastic sealable bag
How to Make It
- Place 1/2 cup of water into a glass.
- Add 2 teaspoons of borax.
- Stir with a spoon until the borax is dissolved. Set aside.
- Add 1/4 cup of water to a mixing bowl.
- Now add 1/4 cup of white glue and some food coloring to the water and mix well.
- Pour the mixture from the bowl into your sealable plastic bag. It helps to have a partner to hold the bag open for you as you pour.
- Add about a cupful of polystyrene beads. You will need to use your judgment as you add them because the beads can come in different sizes.
- Next pour your borax solution from the glass into the bag and seal the bag.
- Create your craft foam by working the solution in the baggie with your hands and fingers until it is mixed well. Your craft foam will be ready once the borax solution has been absorbed and the mixture solidifies somewhat.
- Take your craft foam out of bag and shape it as you would any kind of moldable clay.