Alter a puzzle and create a unique work of art for your wall. Puzzle pieces are an intriguing medium to work with. We chose to this art project as a family but you can also do it individually. This is a project that might take some time to complete and there is no rush to complete it in one sitting.
The basic premise is to create abstract art by decorating each of the puzzle pieces in a unique and different manner. We gave each family member two puzzle pieces to decorate for a 14 piece puzzle. Everyone came up with a completely unique design and when assembled we had an original work of art to display in our playroom.
- An old puzzle or one from the dollar store ( complete)
- Tempura Paint
- Paint brushes in assorted sizes
- Glitter, wire, buttons if desired
How to Make It
- I recommend putting the puzzle together and numbering the pieces on the reverse side so that it will be easier to reassemble at the end of your project, as the original picture will be painted over.
- Paint each of your puzzle pieces with a base coat. You can use the same colors for all or vary them.
- Take your time and design each puzzle piece in its own unique way. Paint patterns, pictures or designs and add accents if you wish. This may be an ongoing project for you. It does not have to be completed in one afternoon.
- When all of the pieces are uniquely decorated and dry, reassemble the altered puzzle.
- Paint glue on the black of the puzzle to keep it in place , allow time to dry and display your masterpiece.