Transform cupcake liners and cardboard paper tubes into incredibly cute hooty owls with this fun craft. I was so pleased with how these cute owl friends turned out and you will be too. The cupcake liners really add so much texture and character to these friendly owls. Children of all ages will enjoy assembling and personalizing their very own. So, give a hoot and recycle those cardboard tubes for some craft time fun.
- Cardboard paper tube
- Craft foam
- Cupcake liners
- Large and small buttons
- Tacky glue
- Glue Gun
How to Make Them
- Trim approximately one inch from one end of a toilet paper tube
- Fold down the top on both sides and secure it with tape.
- Cut a cupcake liner into quarters.
- Use your scissors to trim away the flat rounded bottoms of the cupcake liners.
- You should only have the ruffled parts left. Use tacky glue to adhere the ruffled segments to the front of the cardboard tube in layers. We made four ruffled layers.
- Cut a half circle about 4 inches in diameter out of matching craft foam. You can use your judgment here on how you want your wings to look. Using a glue gun, glue the craft foam's rounded top edge draped around the back of the owl as shown. Trim the wings to your liking.
- Attach two large matching buttons with two smaller ones glued inside of them to the face of the owl very close to the top of the head. The little points of the cardboard tube should still be protruding to form the ears.
- Option 2: You can also cut a cupcake liner in half and glue them overlapping in the back so that the rounded part fans out along the bottom for wings.
- Cut a small orange triangle out of craft felt and glue with tacky glue onto the face point side down.