Dallas Heritage Village occupies over 20-acres of Dallas' first city park with its original Victorian and Pioneer style homes and commercial buildings. The historical buildings were moved to the park from all around Texas in order to creating a living museum where you and your family can experience the lifestyle of 19th century Texas settlers.
The Heritage Village's regular tours provide a unique, hands-on experience with history. You can choose to tour with a guided group or explore the village yourself. Their events throughout the year promote a historical appreciation, allowing visitors to interact with Texas history by offering select programs for children and adults. Storytime and Victorian Tea Parties are perfect for the young ones, while adults can enjoy select tours, a paranormal ghost hunt on the grounds, and blacksmithing classes.
Things to Do
- Barnyard Buddies Storytime: Offered the second Wednesday of every month and perfect for pre-schoolers; you'll read a historical story, do a fun activity, and explore the village
- Scout Workshops: Fun for both Cub and Girl Scouts; earn badges while enjoying historical adventures, including a Victorian-style tea party, Wild Frontier cattle lessons, Civil War on the Homefront interactive tour, and special guided tours catered to your specific scout group needs; can also be used for school field trips
- Lecture Series: For the adults, enjoy different talks covering different aspects of frontier life and the history of Texas; these are free to attend and change every month, so check their website to find out which lectures are happening during your visit
- Paranormal Investigations: If you've heard ghost stories about a haunted Heritage Village, this is your opportunity to investigate yourself; a guided tour through the Village buildings with historical accounts and a map to help you explore
- Holiday Events: Every holiday season, the Village hosts an array of events, including a Howl-o-ween pet costume contest in October and visits with Santa in December; check the calendar for festive events happening during your visit
Dallas Heritage Village Insider Tips
- While lecture series are free at the Village, workshops and paranormal investigations cost extra. Admission prices may also change during special events and the holidays. Be sure to check the website and make note of any price changes so you don't miss out on your favorite event.
- Heritage Village is perfect for picnicing. There is no restaurant on site, but you are free to bring drinks and snacks or an entire picnic lunch for yourself and your family. Picnic space is available.