The Detroit Historical Museum is the only museum that focuses on the history of the Detroit Area. At the museum, you can enjoy several permanent signature exhibits as well as several rotating exhibits which will convey various stories and facts relevant to this region of the United States. Step back to the times of the underground railroad, the roaring 20s, WWII, and Detroit's Resuscitation of the present. Guests will enjoy three stories full of Detroit's incredible history as well as interactive learning displays.
Things to Do
- Peruse the historical Signature Exhibits which include topics such as: The Gallery of Innovation, Allessee Cultural Exhibit, Kid Rock Music Lab, and expanded exhibit featuring the Pathway to Freedom and the Underground Railroad, Frontiers to Factories and many more.
- Enjoy the fascinating artifacts and exhibits in the Temporary Exhibits. Over 250,000 artifacts were recently added to the museum's collection and are displayed in one the the galleries here.
- Visit the Legends Plaza where many sports figures and entertainers who got their start in Detroit put their hands in cement for all to admire.
Detroit Historical Museum Insider Tips
- You can find parking in the Museum lot of Kirby Street for $6 while available. There is a lot of construction in the area due to a construction project. The website gives detailed directions with detours that may hinder your path.
- Admission to this museum is FREE.
- The museum is available to rent space for special events.
- This museum is a must see when visiting Detroit. There is so much memorabilia and history to explore. The Detroit Art Museum is right across the street, so you can certainly make a day of it.