The palatial Detroit Institute of Arts Museum is a gorgeous architectural masterpiece that houses one of the largest collection of Art in the United States. The Art museum is a true gem just waiting to be discovered in downtown Detroit area.
Things to Do
- Take a guided, ipad guided or self guided tour of the museum. Some of the many collections that you will be able to view include:American Art, Art of Asia and the Islamic World, African Art, Prints drawings and Photographs, African American Art, Contemporary Art and more.
- Shop at the museum gifts shop which often has kid friendly activities offered nearby.
- Dine in the Museum Cafe
- See a film at the Detroit Film Theater
- Children 12 under can participate in drop-in Art workshops. Art classes for kids and adults are also available.
Detroit Institute of the Arts Museum Insider Tips
- Price of admission is very reasonable and if you show your AAA card you will receive a buy one get one free discount.
- There are free Ipad tours but you must leave you License at the front desk when you check the ipad out.
- A must see is the mural in the atrium depicting the history of Detroit.
- Self Parking is limited, but you can find some metered parking around the museum.
- There is a museum cafe on site. Take a peek inside the cafe simply to view the four walls of murals.
- Free museum tours are available at 1pm and 3pm on weekends and are worth planning them into your experience.