The Detroit RiverWalk, also known as the Detroit International Riverfront, is one of the most popular attractions in downtown Detroit. This beautiful riverfront area stretches for over 5 miles from the Ambassador Bridge that connects the city to Windsor, Canada, all the way to Belle Isle, a famous island park.
Families that visit the RiverWalk will find themselves with a seemingly endless list of activities to do, including walking along the gorgeous Detroit River, touring the GM Renaissance Center, visiting the city's Saturday Market that features over 250 food vendors, and exploring Belle Isle State Park.
Things to Do
- Go for a family walk or bike ride on one of the paved trails - you'll be rewarded with spectacular views of the riverfront area. There are also fishing piers located along the path, so bring along your equipment if you love the sport.
- Visit Belle Isle, the 982-acre island park in the Detroit River that is one of Detroit's most popular attractions. It features an aquarium, a conservatory with a famous orchid collection, and a zoo, all of which can be visited for free!
- Take a free hour-long tour of the GM Renaissance Tower at noon or 2:00 p.m. Monday through Friday. You'll learn all about the history of General Motors in Detroit, as well as this fascinating group of seven interconnected skyscrapers.
Detroit RiverWalk Insider Tips
- Buy some fresh produce for your next family meal or simply explore the many delicious food offerings provided by the Eastern Market each Saturday, including vegetables, homemade jams, and grass-fed meat, as well as beautiful plants and flowers to decorate your dinner table.
- Bring along your camera to take photos of the magnificent Ambassador Bridge that crosses the Detroit River to reach the Canadian city of Windsor. This fascinating structure is the busiest international border crossing in North America, and was at one time the longest suspended central span bridge in the world!
- Check their events calendar to see if any special activities are going on during your visit - the RiverWalk is often used for festivals, fireworks, and more.