In the heart of Royal Oak, Michigan you will discover the menagerie of the Detroit Zoo. Visitors will enjoy visiting hundreds of animals, as they enjoy a leisurely self guided tour through the various animal exhibits. Animals enjoy open space habitats and the zoo is filled with lush greenery and beautiful well kept flower gardens which makes you feel like you are more on safari than at the zoo.
Things to Do
- Peruse the zoo at a leisurely pace and visit the animal exhibits which include: Seals, Polar Bears, Peacocks, Giraffes and Rhinos, Zebras, Fox, many birds and reptiles and many more
- Bring a picnic lunch or grab a snack at the concession stand.
- Ride the brand new Carousel.
- Enjoy being up close and personal with the giraffes in the Giraffe Encounter Program.
- Take in a fun and educational film in the 4D Theater.
Detroit Zoo Insider Tips
- Consider signing up for a membership to the zoo if you plan on returning for more than one trip. It will give you a great cost savings.
- The zoo is very well organized. Utilize the maps that are on display throughout the zoo as well as the paper maps that you receive upon entering.
- I recommend visiting the zoo in the morning when it is cooler and the animals are more active.
- Must see exhibits include the Polar Bear Exhibit and the chimpanzee/ gorilla exhibit for great entertainment.
- Wear comfortable shoes. The Zoo is wonderfully spread out to ensure naturalistic habitats for the animals, so there will be a lot of walking on your visit.
- When visiting with small children, it is recommended that you bring a stroller as the amount of walking might be difficult for a young child. Strollers are also available for rent at the zoo.