The Discovery Center Museum in Rockford Illinois packs 250 interactive exhibits into a two floor area. Outside the museum visitors can also explore the Rock River Discovery Park, a large outdoor hands-on science park. Alongside this they offer classes for children and adults alike with the aim of bringing the world of science to more people.
Things to Do
- The Tot Spot is designed to be explored and enjoyed specifically by children under the age of 7. Through play and active interaction young children are introduced to and learn all about the world of science.
- The Baby Spot is another area designed for the youngest learners.
- In the "Make it Go" section they can play with trains and coal cars. At the "Make It Flow" section they learn all about water while they can head to "Make It Blow" to play with giant tubes filled with all manner of materials!
- The Rock River Discovery Park located outside the museum provides a large area for children to play and learn. The WaterWorks Area allows visitors to manipulate and toy with water wheels, dams, whitewater makers and water jets.
- The Dino Dig area gives children the tools to become a palaeontologist and search for dinosaur bones. The Healthy Choices Maze meanwhile aims to teach children about healthy eating and regular exercise in a fun environment.
Discovery Center Museum Insider Tips
- Members and children under the age of one gain admission for free.
- Special reduced rates are available for groups of 10 or more as long as a reservation is made at least 10 days in advance.
- Don't miss a planetarium night show. Tickets for the general public are only $1.00 and $0.50 for members.