Create dollhouses that appeal to both boys and girls by using shoe boxes and magazine clippings in collaboration with one another. Children can easily become interior designers for the afternoon as they cut and paste their choices of furniture and accessories onto their shoe boxes. This activity is not only great for parents but children will have a fantastic time decorating and designing their own homes for their dolls or action figures.
- Shoe box with lid
- Magazines and catalogs and even newspaper advertisements
- Construction Paper
- A Glue Stick
- A small doll or dolls
How to Make and Play
- Have your child to look through magazines or catalogs and have them select which pieces of furniture they want for their dollhouse. If desired, you can use magazine clippings that depict the great outdoors as well to decorate the outside of the shoe box.
- Cut out the pictures of various furnishings use your glue stick to decorate the inside of their shoe box.
- Use your scissors to carefully cut a door and windows in the lid the lid of the shoe box.
- Cover the outside of the shoe box with some colored paper.
- Use your glue stick to glue clippings of outdoor scenery and greenery to the outside of the box.
- If you have several shoe boxes, you can create multiple themed rooms and stack them together with duck or masking tape.