Downtown farmer's market in Des Moines, Iowa is rated as the best farmer's market, the market is held in historic court district in Down town Des Moines, the market is open every Saturday May through October. Winter's farmer's market is open November through December. The farmer's market began in 1976, and it supports and displays more than 300 vendors from around the state. Vendors include farmers, bakers, crafters and artists, urban community gets a chance to buy locally produced food, handmade crafts, as well as green house produce.
Things to Do
- Families can shop for locally grown produce, support the Iowa farmers and buy directly from them. The Saturday farmer's market includes fresh fruit and vegetables, herbs, flowers, eggs, baked goods, chicken, Turkey and much more.
- The winter's market offers the perfect opportunity to buy Ingredients and produce for holiday parties, meals and gift giving. 130 vendors display products such as locally raised eggs, beef, holiday hams, duck and much more.
- Visitors can also buy honey, jams, cheese, cinnamon rolls, pies, and holiday essentials including Christmas trees, handmade holiday ornaments, home decoration and other items.
- Farmer's market also features entertainers such as musicians, bands, jugglers, and salsa dancers.
- Children will get an opportunity to learn about local produce and supporting the local farmers.
- Parking is free. Bring dogs on leash.
Downtown Farmer's market Insider Tips
- Bring your own shopping bag or canvas bag.
- Wear good walking shoes.
- Farmer's market is stroller and wheel chair accessible.