The name may sound odd but the Serpentarium is the best place to introduce your kids to the reptiles of the animal kingdom. The place was founded by two brothers whose passion was snake hunting.
Things to Do
- Witness alligator feeding and learn more about the behavior of alligators. The program is designed to be informative and entertaining for the guests.
- Attend the educational snakes programs and know more about the venomous and non-venomous snakes in South Carolina. Listen to the facts and dispel the myths often told about snakes. From a safe distance, you can observe the behavior of snakes in their natural environment . See how they swim, glide, and climb trees.
- Watch the alligators in any of the two ponds. The first pond, Green Pond, is home to alligators more than 11-feet in length. The smaller alligators can be found in the second pond, Alligator Alley.
- See different kinds of turtles in their natural habitat. Turtle species include box turtles, red-eared sliders,diamondback terrapins, soft-shelled turtles, and snapping turtles. Purchase turtle food if you wish to feed the turtles.
- Visit the area of the lizards and watch four iguanas go on with their daily routine of swimming, climbing, and eating.
Edisto Island Serpentarium Insider Tips
- Snake shows and alligator feeding hours may change. Check the website for details of the schedule.
- Discounts are offered for AAA Card holders.
- For those who are not particularly fond of reptiles, resist the urge to rush and take the time to observe the animals in their natural habitats.